Install a WordPress plugin with FTP
You may need to install a WordPress plugin through FTP. This option is useful for large or custom plugins. You'll need an FTP client to upload the files. We recommend FileZilla.
Note: You should download the plugin .zip file to your local computer before getting started (follow the download instructions provided with your plugin).
- Unzip the plugin files on your local computer (Windows or MacOS).
- Connect to your hosting with FTP.
- In the Remote site section of FileZilla, find the folder with your WordPress site.
- Navigate to the /wp-content/plugins folder.
- In the Local site section of FileZilla, find the plugin folder on your local computer.
- Drag and drop the plugin folder from the Local site section to the Remote site section.
- After you install a plugin, you need to activate it from within WordPress.