Install a WordPress theme with FTP and FileZilla
You may need to install a WordPress theme through FTP. This option is useful for large or custom themes. You can use any FTP client app, but these steps describe installation with FileZilla.
- Download the theme .zip file.
- Connect to your hosting with FTP.
- In the Remote site section, locate the folder with your WordPress website.
- Navigate to the /wp-content/themes folder.
- In the Local site section, locate the theme .zip file on your local computer.
- Drag and drop the theme file from the Local site section to the Remote site section.
- Unzip the theme file.
Note: If you can't unzip the file on your hosting account, you need to unzip the file on your local computer and then upload the unzipped folder of files.
- After you install a theme, activate it from within WordPress.